- 300g dark chocolate (70% cocoa), broken up into chunks
- 185g salted caramel or butterscotch milk chocolate, chopped into ~1cm pieces
- 180g unsalted butter, cut into ~1cm cubes
- 135g dark brown sugar
- 260g caster sugar
- 4 large free range eggs, room temperature
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- 120g plain flour
- 60g cocoa powder
- 1.5 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 180ºC (160ºC fan)/ gas mark 4. Line a 10-12 inch rectangular tray with greaseproof paper. The greaseproof paper should overhang by an inch or two.
- Melt the dark chocolate and butter using bain marie method.
- In a bowl, add both sugars and the vanilla extract. Whisk in the eggs one at a time until fully incorporated.
- Once chocolate and butter has melted, take it off the heat and mix to remove any remaining lumps. Leave to cool.
- Once cooled, whisk the chocolate and butter mix into the batter.
- Add the flour, cocoa powder and salt to the bowl and fold into the brownie batter using a wooden spoon.
- Fold in the salted caramel/butterscotch milk chocolate pieces.
- Spread brownie batter into baking tray, ensuring it is level all over.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 30 minutes.
- Leave to cool down completely before removing from the tray and cutting into 12 squares.
- Top with a sprinkle of sea salt (optional).